Learning from the lives of six biblical women
This Open Learning course explores how God cared for six women in the Bible and how they all played a part in his plans for the world.
You will study three stories from the Old Testament and three from the New Testament and consider their meaning for life today, for your own relationship with God and for your relationships with other people.
Course number and title
- F5 - Women in the story of God's people: Learning from the lives of six biblical women
- Lesson 1: Eve, the first woman
- Lesson 2: Hagar, the stranger
- Lesson 3: Ruth, a loyal daughter-in-law
- Lesson 4: Mary, the mother of Jesus
- Lesson 5: Martha, a friend of Jesus
- Lesson 6: Dorcas, a loved and respected woman
- Course study guide
- The New International Version of the Bible
- Additional reading is recommended and titles suggested include: Alexander, P. and Alexander, D., 2017. The Lion Handbook to the Bible. 5th ed. Oxford: Lion Hudson
- Short written answers to questions about each lesson, making reference to the Bible passages, the study guide and your own reading
About Open Learning
Open Learning correspondence courses are available to anyone over the age of 18. Students can be Christians or enquirers, of any religious persuasion or none.
Our courses offer students the opportunity to:
- Study the Bible and learn more about God, the Christian faith and Church tradition
- Gain insight into your own personal faith experience
- Develop resources for practical ministry
With three different levels of study available - Starter, Foundation and Award - it is not necessary to have studied before in order to apply for one of our courses. Bite-sized courses are also available.
Each student has a qualified personal tutor who provides support, guidance and encouragement as they progress through their course. The tutor will also grade assignments and give feedback on written work.
Work can be completed at your own pace, over a series of weeks or months, and can be submitted online or via post.
Lessons are available in different fonts, large print and printed on off-white or coloured paper for those who have additional needs. Please let us know what you require when enrolling.
If you need support to cover the cost of any of our courses or need additional information, please contact us.
- Address: Open Learning, William Booth College, Champion Park, London, SE5 8BQ
- Tel: 020 7326 2788
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Discover moreAll Open Learning courses
This Open Learning course introduces you to some of the passages in the Bible that can help you to grow in your new relationship with God.
This Open Learning course is designed to help you grow in the Christian faith through an introductory study of five psalms.
This Open Learning course introduces five Old Testament characters and explores Psalm 100.
This Open Learning course explores the psalms of the Old Testament to prompt reflection on Christian life and support practical ministry.